- I'm a mechanical engineer, turned designer. I have a Masters in Design from Stanford, and a background in mechanical thing design, CAD and airplane engines.
- I was the 2nd employee at the AT&T Foundry, where I led innovation projects like an API platform for healthcare and a new experience for enriched texting. I was also an advocate (internally and externally) for a culture of innovation in one of the largest companies in the US.
- I currently work at X as a UX Researcher on the Self-Driving Car project. I'm tasked with ensuring the end-to-end experience of riding in a car that drives itself is safe, fun and empowering.
- I spent 2+ years improving products as the lead UX Researcher at Google on Moments that Matter, an initiative to emphasize product excellence across Google's consumer and enterprise products.
- I continue to design. I am building art projects and TuTus for Burning Man and creating interactive improv experiences for friends and strangers alike. I also enjoy tinkering with bikes and spending time volunteering with the SF Bike Coalition, I love those guys.
My most recent work:
Stanford University (Stanford, CA)
Sept 2008-June 2010 GPA 3.6
Joint Program in Product Design
M.S. Engineering & Design
• Adobe: Ethnography and frame working for innovative markets in China involving self-expression.
(Cross-Cultural Design - d.school)
• Collaboration: Enhancing team dynamics through design by researching the secrets of expert collaborators. (Master’s Thesis)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Hartford, CT) GPA 3.9
M.S. Management: Innovation & Entrepreneurship
15 Credits - Deferred Graduation
• Business proposal for a 1-off furniture manufacturer (Developing Innovative New Products & Services)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY)
Product Design & Innovation
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
B.S. Science Technologies Studies
• GE Turbines: Design a diffuser with cooled walls to test effect on boundary layer separation.
• Ark Charter School: Troy – Designed an education tool to encourage students to develop a mindset that learning is fun.
Google X (Mountain View, CA)
Sr. UX Research - Self-Driving Car Project
January 2016 - Present
• Lead UX research on the end-to-end experience of riding in a self-driving car
• Design, recruit, execute, synthesize UX research and present to stakeholders about a range of user experience questions
• Leverage ethnography, lab studies, ergonomics, surveys, competitive analysis, contextual inquiry, heuristic evaluations and many more methodologies from the UX handbook
• Collaborate with interaction designers, industrial designers, hardware, software and marketing teams to turn a technology into a product.
Google (Mountain View, CA)
Sr. UX Researcher – Consumer Support
August 2013 - December 2015
• Research, understand and design compelling and effective experiences for fixing Google products.
• Collaborated with UX designers and engineers to develop integrated mobile help, Google support one-boxes and material design changes to the Google Help Center.
• Led a strategic project on key moments in users experiences that impact user trust and adoption
-Created research plans including appropriate methodology and creative recruiting
-Executed surveys, ethnography, focus groups, lab-studies, international studies, heuristic
evaluations and A/B test to determine the real issues and test new concepts
-Worked with managers to develop compelling presentations for product teams
-Led design sprints around optimal user journeys, collaborated with designers to execute
Flawless Help & Support
• Led a 12 person working group to execute weekly lab-based UX studies in the US and Europe to
test and improve various support resources
• On-boarded and trained 3 new UX researchers to the team on methodology and findings
• Developed design guidelines for content writers to amplify the impact of completed research
• Mentored 24 content writers on design heuristics and implementing best practices
AT&T Foundry (Palo Alto, CA)
The Foundry is AT&T’s innovation group tasked with taking innovative products and services
from ideation to commercialization. http://bit.ly/foundry_annualreport
Design Manager & User Researcher August 2010 - Present
• Conduct user research with customers (enterprise & consumer) and ideate new product ideas
• Lead teams to design, build prototypes and test top ideas
• Present and effectively communicate market opportunity and product to top-level leadership
• Take products from prototype to MVP for Alpha and/or Beta release
• Build community and a culture of innovation for the Foundry and the rest of AT&T
Selection of Products & Prototypes
• Healthcare Developer Toolkit & API Platform - mhealth.att.com - Designed a developer focused
healthcare strategy and managed the development of an API platform and tool kit to support
developers building for healthcare quicker and cheaper. Released GA June 2012
• U-verse Call Center Agile Lab - While training the AT&T team to work in an Agile method for
building the Call-Center Agent’s Troubleshooting software, we built a testing center in the
Philippines for bringing turn around time on new changes down to a day.
• Education Platform - Facilitated corporate strategy with research for building a 1, 3, and 5 year
plan for AT&T in education for business, partnership and technology.
• LTE Policy Control APIs - Conducted interviews with strategic enterprise customers that drove
the build out of the policy control APIs for the LTE network
Stanford University (Stanford, CA) April 2009 - June 2010
Teaching Assistant - Mechanical Engineering
• Human Values & Innovation in Design, Negotiating Sustainable Development, Product Design
Methods, History & Philosophy of Design, Designing the Authentic Life
Research Assistant – Management Science & Engineering
• Researched the role of culture on design education and its’ effect on the design ecosystem.
• Publication: ConnectED 2010 – The Ecology of Design Education
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft (Middletown, CT) Jan. 2006 - Sept. 2008
Instrumentation Design Engineer
• Design, engineering, CAD, parabolic modeling, FEA analysis and GD&T/manufacturing support for
instrumentation for the Geared-Turbo Fan. Supported aerodynamics, case design and the test
team in getting the data collected they needed.
• JSF, F135 & F119 military jet engine test support for instrumentation to test failures and repairs.
Improv, Facilitation and Leadership
• SImps (Stanford Improvisers), Landmark Education Graduate, International Women’s Week
• Hartford Women’s Rugby; RPI Varsity Club Rugby Captain & Player
• Tech Never Looked So Good, founder and creator of this PanelProv event celebrating Women in
Tech; News: http://bit.ly/cbspanelprov Event: www.eventsofthevalley.com
• San Francisco Bike Coalition Young Leaders Group & Volunteer 2013-Present, Hands-On-Bay Area
• 2012-2014 Leader of the House of Yes, a Burning Man Theme Camp, 2011 Black Rock City
Farmer’s Market Team
• Rainwater Catchment System – Alvarado Elementary School, Full Circle
Farm Volunteer, Jan.-June 2008 Capital District Community Gardens Volunteer, RPI Student
• Google Peer Bonuses, Spot Awards and Kudos
• 2010 Social-M Challenge Winner 10K Grand Prize: Social Movement utilizing social media to get
people to educate each other about sustainability.
• 2005 How to Change the World? Winner 1st Prize: reframing automotive recycling to encourage
car trade-in benefiting the environment, the recycling plant and the owner.
• 2007 & 2008 Pratt & Whitney Appreciation Award: Thank you award for exceeding the job role
to delight internal and external customers.
TEDxYouth@MtDiablo - Speaker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JppyGrsHXuE
The AT&T Annual Report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60XEzHT7bgs
Women in Tech Hackathon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxlZ2_-wVm4
mHealth Hackathon @ CES http://bit.ly/mHealthHack
What is mHealth? https://mhealth.att.com/what
SocialM (video 2) http://cyperusmedia.com/d/content/social-m-final-presentations
UX Research: ethnographic field studies, lab usability testing, remote testing, surveys, card sorting,
A/B testing, heuristic evaluation, cross-cultural in-language research
Design Process: facilitating design sprints, service design, frame-working, opportunity mapping, idea
generation, brainstorming, rapid prototyping, agile design, storytelling, business strategy
Computer: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Unigraphics NX4, Solid Works 2012, CATIA, Pro-
Engineer, MS Office, MacOS
Interaction: public speaking, improvisation, group facilitation, narratives and storytelling